Monday, September 17, 2012

Unk's Burgers In Lee's Summit Is Serving Up Some Tasty Patties

A Traditional Unk Burger With Seasoned Fries
A flavorful burger, old-fashioned hospitality and reasonable prices are what I discovered when I recently visited Unk's Burgers in Lee's Summit.

I decided to try Unk's after I repeatedly kept hearing people say, "You've got to go there.  They have one of the best burgers in town," and for the most part, I agree with that statement.

Opened in November 2011 by Jesse "Unk" Mack, what makes the burgers different at this family-run establishment is onion and seasonings.  Unk's Burgers adds onion and a special seasoning mixture directly to their hamburger when they make the patties so that their unique taste is infused into the entire burger - not just added to the outside of the patty while it cooks.

That being said, onion haters do not fear.  They will make your hamburger without onion if you request it that way.  As for the seasoning, I really liked it, but if you are not a person who likes a heavily seasoned burger, Unk's Burgers might not be your favorite.

Serving It Up At Unk's Burgers
I also enjoyed the personal service I received as soon as I walked into the restaurant, which felt a little like walking into a basement rec room converted into an bright urban diner.  I was greeted warmly by one of Unk's family members who happily explained their menu and took my order.

When I was done eating, it was "Unk" himself who rang me up at the register.  He seemed genuinely interested in my dining experience there and what I had to say.  He also seemed appreciative of my business, and with a friendly smile, he welcomed me back to "his place" anytime.

As far as the menu, the selection was not huge, but it didn't need to be. They have their regular and double burgers along with a couple of specialty burgers which include the Sweet Auntie Burger, (topped with bread and butter pickles) and the Bodacious Baked Bean Burger (which drips with homemade turkey baked beans.)

Besides the regular toppings for your burger, they also have some more non-traditional choices like blue cheese, fried egg or fried pickles - if you feel adventurous.

Inside Unk's Burgers
Additionally, if you want to try something other than a traditional burger at Unk's you can order the turkey burger, chicken sandwich (grilled or fried), garden chicken salad or the juicy chicken tenders.

There are also a variety of side items to choose from including two kinds of fries (seasoned or sweet potato), and two kinds of onion rings (beer battered or peppercorn).  I tried the peppercorn onion rings, but they were a little bitter for my liking.

Most of the main entrees are priced from $4.79 - $5.99,  and the majority of the side items cost $2.79, so you could easily eat there for $10-$12.

I would recommend Unk's Burgers as a new place to try.  My personal favorite burger in Kansas City is still Hi-Boy's junior double cheeseburger, and in my opinion, Unk's burgers did not beat that, but Unk's was still pretty tasty and worth checking out if you happen to be in the Lee's Summit area.

Unk's is located in the Summit Shopping Center at 240 NW Oldham Parkway.  Their phone number is 816.600.2277.  Their hours are:

Unk's Burgers In Lee's Summit

11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday


11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday


Closed on Sunday


Unks Burgers on Urbanspoon


1 comment:

  1. hey there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here.
    I did however expertise a few technical issues
    using this web site, since I experienced to reload the website
    many times previous to I could get it to load
    properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will
    sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if ads
    and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a
    lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again
    soon.

    ReplyDelete